TotalEnergies is a major multi-energy player on the international scene, dedicated to providing accessible & affordable energy with less emissions. Present in close to 130 countries and strongly grounded on the commitment of more than 100,000 people, from a wide range of origins, professions, and know-how, TotalEnergies is implementing its ambition to be Net Zero by 2050 together with society. Today, the Company is a player that has to interact not only with the various representatives of the economic world but also with the local populations in the areas in which it is established as well as with the public authorities. As such, the Company plays an active role in the public debate.
The Company complies with all national and international laws and standards governing its activities. It abides by the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises as well as the principles of the United Nations Global Compact.
Aware of its responsibility in all the countries and territories in which it is present, TotalEnergies carries out its advocacy efforts in accordance with the values set out in its Code of Conduct, which clearly affirms its ethical commitment. For the purpose of this website, advocacy has the meaning conferred to it under the widely accepted Transparency International definition, which defines the advocacy as "the fact that an entity intervenes directly or indirectly with public officials, through various means, in order to influence a public decision in a sense that serves particular interests, values or a cause".
The Company’s advocacy efforts are carried out in accordance with principles set out in its internal directive, which cannot be waived under any circumstances and in particular:
- In any circumstances, TotalEnergies refuses to intervene in the functioning or financing of the political life in the countries in which it is present. TotalEnergies does not support – and has not supported – neither contribute, financially or in any way, to any political organizations, parties, persons or campaigns.
- The Code of Conduct asserts TotalEnergies’ position on the prevention and fight against fraud of any kind, particularly bribery and corruption, influence peddling and violations of antitrust law, and sets forth a principle of “ZERO TOLERANCE”. TotalEnergies rejects and fights corruption in all forms, whether public or private, active or passive, direct or indirect.
- As stated in its Universal Registration Document, TotalEnergies believes that transparency is an essential principle of action in building a trust-based relationship with its stakeholders and ensuring that the Company is on a path of continuous improvement. Pending the adoption of an international, standardized non-financial reporting framework, TotalEnergies is making every effort to report its performance on the basis of the various commonly used ESG reporting frameworks.
- TotalEnergies supports the objectives of the Paris Agreement relating to the fight against climate change.
- Furthermore, TotalEnergies has placed sustainable development in all its dimensions at the heart of its strategy, projects and operations, in order to contribute to the well-being of the populations. It committed in 2016 its support to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and has been a member of the United Nations Global Compact since 2002. As such, the Company promotes the mobilization of the private sector in favor of the SDGs, for example by signing the call to action published in September 2023 (French only).