A process of continuous improvement linked to the sustainable development goals
TotalEnergies has placed sustainable development in all its dimensions at the heart of its strategy, projects and operations, in order to contribute to the well-being of the planet's populations, and it wants to set the standard in terms of commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), adopted in 2015 by the United Nations and its Member States and to which TotalEnergies has committed to contribute since 2016.
TotalEnergies has structured its CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) approach for conducting its activities so as to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
As part of its determination to strengthen its efforts in the segments in which it can act with most authority as an integrated multi-energy Company, TotalEnergies involves its employees in identifying the SDGs on which it can have the greatest impact, in connection with its ambition to reach carbon neutrality (net zero emissions) by 2050, together with society.
TotalEnergies' CSR approach is based on four pillars:
- Climate and sustainable energy: leading the transformation of the energy model to contribute to the fight against climate change and meet the needs of populations;
- People's well-being: being a reference as an employer and responsible operator. TotalEnergies intends on promoting a work environment that combines performance and conviviality and ensuring compliance with human rights in the workplace, both within the Company and among its partners, but also the safety and health of people;
- Care for the environment: to be exemplary in the management of the environment and the use of the planet's natural resources. TotalEnergies intends on ensuring that the environmental impacts of all its operations are managed according to the Avoid-Reduce-Offset approach, thereby helping to preserve the environment, biodiversity and freshwater resources. To this end, TotalEnergies promotes the circular economy;
- Creating value for society: ggenerating shared prosperity across regions. TotalEnergies aims to be a creator and a driver of positive change for the communities in its host regions.
To better understand TotalEnergies’ contribution to each of the SDGs, a reporting index is available in the section:
A sustainability strategy in motion
TotalEnergies actively works on each of its sustainability pillars in order to make its development a vehicle of progress that benefits as many people as possible and to be a factor of positive change for the societies and regions where it is present.
Support to global initiatives
TotalEnergies is committed to various international initiatives such as the fight against climate change, promotion of social dialogue, preservation of biodiversity, transparency in the conduct of business.
TotalEnergies abides by the principles of the United Nations Global Compact. TotalEnergies is committed to respecting internationally recognized human rights, wherever it operates, especially the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Fundamental Conventions of the International Labor Organization (ILO), the U.N. Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR).
Transparency, a principle of action
The Company believes that transparency is an essential principle of action in building a trust-based relationship with its stakeholders and enables a path of continuous improvement.
Pending the adoption of an international, standardized non-financial reporting framework, TotalEnergies ensures it is accountable for its performance on the basis of the various commonly used ESG reporting frameworks. As such, TotalEnergies refers to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards and those of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), for which detailed tables of correspondence are available on its website. TotalEnergies’ reporting includes the World Economic Forum’s core indicators(1). Furthermore, the Company follows the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) for its climate reporting. TotalEnergies provides additional information on its website in pages specifically dedicated to its sustainability development approach.
TotalEnergies’ sustainability approach is recognized: in 2021, the Company was once again confirmed as a LEAD Company by the United Nations Global Compact for its full commitment to CSR.
TotalEnergies has been included in the FTSE4Good index (London Stock Exchange) since 2001. In 2021, TotalEnergies obtained for its business units listed on the EcoVadis platform the Gold status for TotalEnergies Electricité et Gaz France, Total Refining & Chemicals, TotalEnergies Raffinage Chimie, Saft Groupe and Greenflex) and the Silver status for TotalEnergies Marketing & Services, TotalEnergies Gas & Power Limited and Alcad. In 2021, TotalEnergies received scores of A- on both the CDP Climate Change questionnaire and the Water questionnaire.
(1) Measuring Stakeholder Capitalism: Towards Common Metrics and Consistent Reporting of Sustainable Value Creation, white paper, September 2020.