In 2015, the United Nations and its member States adopted the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which define a framework for the years to 2030 for addressing the global issues of poverty, protection of the planet, peace and prosperity. On the strength of their financial resources and capacity for innovation, businesses are called to contribute in furthering that agenda as a means of collectively addressing the challenges of sustainable development.
The Company pledged in 2016 its support to contribute to the achievement of the SDGs and has designed its sustainability framework so as to make a genuinely significant contribution to that joint effort.
TotalEnergies’ approach to SDG reporting
TotalEnergies places sustainable development in all its dimensions at the heart of its strategy, its projects and operations in order to contribute to the well-being of the population. As part of its determination to strengthen its efforts in the segments in which it can act with most authority as an integrated multi-energy Company, TotalEnergies involves its employees in identifying the SDGs on which it can have the greatest impact, in connection with its ambition to reach carbon neutrality (net zero emissions) by 2050, together with society.
The Company has therefore built its sustainability approach on four areas of action and has identified three levels of impact:
- TotalEnergies’ core contributions through its mission: SDGs 7 - 8 - 9 - 13
- TotalEnergies’ direct contributions through its responsible business approach: SDGs 3 - 4 - 5 - 10 - 12 - 14 - 15 - 16
- TotalEnergies’ indirect contributions through its responsible business approach: SDGs 1 - 2 - 6 - 11
In addition, SDG 17 is cross-cutting and is considered as an enabler to deliver the Company’s sustainability strategy.
While SDGs are interconnected and respond to different challenges addressed by TotalEnergies, each SDG has been allocated to one of the four axes of our sustainability approach.
- Reporting period: 2020-2021 (next update June 2022)
- URD 2020 – Universal Registration Document of TotalEnergies
- CC 2020 - Climate Report
- SP – Sustainable development pages of this site